Monday, March 26, 2007

motorbike mania !



Okay, this is probably not going to be the most moving and inspirational of entries....but, I do need to share with you the excitement of me finally riding a motorbike on my own for the first time in my life !

It may seem a bit silly that one my age can get so excited over a seemingly simple activity but after having a fear of riding motoribikes for most of my life, the very fact that I am now riding a bike on my own just seems a bit miraculous to me !

I just got up the other morning and said "today is the day I am going to ride a bike"..It was that fast...I got on my friend
Lena's bike and drove around in circles for a few minutes on my bungalows ground, practiced starting and stopping a few times, and there you have it..that was my lesson ! It felt very easy to me and within a few hours , I rented my own bike and off I went...

It has been great to just be touring the island on a daily basis; exploring new beaches and jungle roads is a daily activitiy now for me....it is also amazingly meditative to just ride and take in all the beauty...strangely enough, I feel there is such peace and quiet when I ride....I really get now why people take these amazingly long trips on motorcycles across large masses of land....

I am also including a picture of a beautiful muslim child (2 years old) and her grandmother that I took a few days ago- they live just around the corner for me....they are so sweet and often sit outside their home and wave to all those who pass them...the woman's husband is part of a family who owns much of the land of where I am staying....I will try to include a picture of him in one of my next entries..he has a most amazing face...so much light in his eyes....

I have about 2 1/2 weeks left now of my travels..seems a bit surreal to be already thinking about returning home as the time has just moved incredibly fast here....I will be here for the Thai New years celebration which will be a great way to leave the country (I arrived new years eve,dec 31st)....it is a HUGE 3-day celebration throughout the entire country...water is thrown on people constantly and one has to pretty much be resigned to the fact of being soaked for 3 days straight ! Luckily I will be near the ocean for most of this celebration but will be in Bangkok for a day as well..this is where I think I will see some serious water balloon action !

It is getting very quiet now here on Koh Lanta...many of my freinds have now left so there is a bit of a feeling of sadness at times that hits me...but the peace and quiet of the place is an absolute blessing right now and I am determined to make the most of this quiet in the next few weeks...it is a precious commodity, I know...

hope you are all enjoying some nice springtime weather wherever you are....this was always one of my favorite times of year as a child...something about the smell of fresh mowed grass and flowers blooming again after a long cold winter that always seemed to move me.....a sense of rebirth, no doubt....

I look forward to seeing a lot of you soon...

hugs.
melina

No comments: